Support our Farm
Boulder Valley Waldorf School has 32 acres of agricultural land on our site. Two years ago we partnered with Aspen Moon Farms to turn our fields of weeds into productive fields of local organic produce. It was a big project, and farm manager Jason Griffith worked tirelessly with us to secure grants for infrastructure – especially water management. We were all so proud of last year’s harvest, which our students helped harvest, as our initial three acres yielded hundreds of pounds of squash, carrots, flowers, corn, and other vegetables. With our upgraded water infrastructure, this year we put 11 acres under cultivation. All spring Jason and his team from Aspen Moon Farms worked tirelessly to plow the fields, lay the drip line, install the pump and the piping from the new pond out to the fields.
So we were all devastated when, on Tuesday, June 19th, an epic bout of hail just about wiped out everything in the fields. The pictures give a sense of just how much hail came down. It hailed continuously for 30 minutes, with the largest hailstones the size of large marbles. But it was the sheer quantity that was so devastating. Every car in our parking lot was considered totaled by insurance, and every roof on the site will be replaced. All the trees lost half their leaves. And the farm fields were basically flattened, left the texture of hammered copper. Even 24 hours later in heat over 90 degrees piles of hailstones were still melting. But let the pictures tell the story.
To help Aspen Moon Farms recover from this utter devastation, we are accepting donations. Your donation to Boulder Valley Waldorf School is tax deductible, and will be used to finance the repair and expansion of the farm infrastructure at our site, allowing Jason and Aspen Moon Farms to recover, rebuild, and survive the loss of so much of their crop.
Donate Now through PayPal
(all credit cards accepted if you don’t currently have a PayPal account)
To donate by check, ask questions, or get an additional donation receipt for large donations, feel free to call the main office at: (303) 652-0130.
Aspen Moon/Boulder Valley Waldorf Farm Initiative
Why give to BVWS if we want to support AMF? Your donation to the BVWS Farm-support will be managed by Jason Griffith, owner of AMF and Farm Mgr at BVWS. Jason will manage and use the Funds to support the FARM INITIATIVE.
What is the Farm Initiative?
It’s a partnership between AMF and BVWS to build a Sustainable, Biodynamic Farm on the outer 30 acres of the BVWS campus. Over the past few years we have worked to build soil and infrastructure to regenerate the Fields and Natural Areas.
Some of the completed projects so far include:
- Completing an $80k dollar Pond, Pump and Irrigation system for up to 10 acres of production. The Majority of the costs were off-set with the NRCS EQUIP program. In other words, Free Government Money.
- Weed Management and Soil Building
- Farm Design, Layout and Road Building
- Complete Biodynamic Management of the Land
Some of the Projects that we hope to complete in 2018/2019:
- Electric Service- Run a 100 amp service to the Farm Location to power a Walk-in cooler, Power tools, Mechanic tools etc.
- Irrigation- Complete The Final Stages of the Irrigation Project
- Wash/Pack house- Build a FSMA(food Safety) approved wash and pack area for vegetables
- Fencing- Build/Improve so that we can incorporate livestock into the Farming Operation.
- Barn- for livestock and Community Gatherings- We have County Approval already.